Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Matthaios
Admin
Matthaios

Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal Empty
PostSubject: Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal   Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Here I shall be recording my adventures in Dwarf Fortress.

If you don't know what dwarf fortress is click here.

Each Post will be of verying length, basicly when ever i sit down to play I will record what I do, and all the crazy stuff my dwarfs do. When i am done playing i will post it. This should result in 1 amazingly awesome post out of every 20 or so, the rest being completely pointless except as background.

THE FED CANYON (My dwarfs)
Total dwarfs: 10
(click the word spoiler)
Spoiler:

Ok here we go, the area i have found is a mountain, it is cold, there are no trees or other vegetation. The surroundings are rather serene, I'm unable to spot a single wild animal. With it being so cold the river will probably freeze in the fall and winter, but that doesn't bother me much as I plan to only farm mushrooms inside my fortress, it's much easier to defend the farms that way and my Dwarfs wont get sick of mushrooms for a while, they can be brewed to make a Dwarvin wine.

Spoiler:

Last edited by lekegolo on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Matthaios
Admin
Matthaios

PostSubject: Re: Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal   Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:21 pm

OK so I have got a basic fortress set up, I've got a "indoor" farm for farming mushrooms, with a irrigation system connected to the river. Like so...
Spoiler:

First you open one flood gate and let the room fill with water, then you close that gate and open the next one, the volume of the first room (the "lock") is just enough to allow the water to spread shallowly across the second room, thus irriagting the soil allowing me to plant mushrooms. The door stops any left over water that might try to escape. That open area is where I store the seeds for planting and any freshly harvested food (before it gets carted of to the larder). The rest of my fortress is extremely minimalistic, I want to dig further down to get to the actual rock before building anything really complex. At that time the uper levels will be discarded for a grand entrance involving a moat, drawbridge, guards, and a big room full of pillars. If you guys have any suggestions of what I should order my dwarfs to build lemme know.

Last edited by lekegolo on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Matthaios
Admin
Matthaios

PostSubject: Re: Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal   Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:43 pm

I began Construction of a large mining shaft going directly downwards about 150 feet. So far I have found two Naturally occurring caverns, both contain small lakes, and one has a vain of gold running along the side of my shaft, I have begun to mine it.

If i want to continue mining the gold I will have to build a small bridge to span a cliff in the cave.

Thob has become a proficient miner.

I have uncovered magma, If i can find a substance with a high enough melting point I will build pumps and make a magma moat for my fortress.

There are Giant spiders in the cave, I am walling it off. (giant= bigger then a dwarf)

I have discovered Hematite, magnatite, limonite and large amounts of flux materials on the surface, flux materials are added to a metal during the smelting process to remove impurities, when you smelt them with iron you get steel. Steel battleaxe/armor production will commence followed by basic military training. Flux, Iron

upon finding a deposite of ituminous coal I remembered that I will need it to heat the forge, however this deposit looks to be rather small. Coal

I also forgot that you need to smelt the coal it's self to get it into a useible form (coke), each unit of Bit-coal produces three of coke, 1 unit of coke is needed to smelt, If i can find a single tree I'm golden, untill then I'm screwed. Looks like I will have to wait for the traders to show up, if they even do. Pig iron

ADAMANTINE! PRAISE THE MINERS! "Adamantine is the best metal ore in the game without question. Upon finding a tubular vein of raw adamantine...It can then be made into various items; these items are impossibly lightweight, strong, and valuable. It is generally found in the very deepest layers of the map, in the form of tubes leading down through the great magma sea." If I mine it, Dwarves will die in magma, nearly unavoidable, therefore I wont. Oh and I found Bauxite near my farm, If you look Wikipedia says it's melting point is 1000 degrees Celsius (1830 degrees Fahrenheit I believe) which should be enough to survive the magma. Bauxite magma pumps, here I come.

Got more migrants, 9 more. I'm up to 19 Dwarfs and I still have no wood, no wood= no beds. I took apart the wagon we used to get here and managed to make 3 beds....even if they sleep in shifts there is gunna be problems here.
Back to top Go down
Matthaios
Admin
Matthaios

PostSubject: Re: Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal   Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Fortress flooded with magma, unrelenting hoard of deamons unleashed upon the world, dwarves dead, cats too. Smears of blood coat the slowly melting walls of my fortress (some sort of flame deamon the melts stone).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal   Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lekegolo's Dwarf Fortress Journal
Page 1 of 1